Tailgating is an art form these days -- and a crazy one at that. There is an entire industry that caters to die-hard sports fans, providing all the comforts of home in a parking lot setting. Here are some of the fine ideas made for the fans hitting stadium parking lots as the football season kicks off.
1. Magnetic Can Holders
- For those who can never find a spot to set down a drink, this magnetic drink cozy attaches to nearly any metal surface -- like a vehicle -- and holds the drink steady while sporting a team logo. Beer holders can be custom made or ordered already imprinted with a team logo. Magnetic can holders cost about $4-$8 apiece, but are often sold in bulk packs.
2. Big Foam Fingers and Hands (or Paws)
- No fan outfit is complete without a foam finger celebrating their No. 1 team. The NFL Pro Shop has team fingers for about $7 each. Foam hands also can be custom made in bulk orders for about $2-$5 apiece, depending on quantity.
3. Handy tableware
- These trays are perfect for any party where drinks and food are served. Drink 'n' Plates are plastic trays that fit a paper plate and a 16 oz. plastic cup, allowing users to hold it all in one hand. A pack of six costs $20-$30.
4. Tailgate Hitch Seats
- These are the ultimate in handy hitch attachments, turning a basic trailer hitch into the base for a two-seater bench. Rivalry LLC makes seats able to hold up to 500 lbs. and the seats can be adorned in a variety of team colors and logos. The seat costs $220-$230; the seat covers are about $70.
5. Gas-powered blender
- Class up the place with a few pina coladas and margaritas. A gas-powered blender might be the way to go. (Yes, it actually starts just like a gas lawnmower -- pull string and all.) The Tailgator blender sells for $290.
6. Ride-on Coolers
- No tailgate party is complete without a cooler. But what makes a cooler -- um -- cooler? A motor. Cruzin Coolers are just that -- small three-wheeled scooters with room for cold drinks. Cruzin' Coolers cost $400-$1,300.
7. Tailgate Trailers
- Pack it all up in a trailer and hitch it to the back of the truck. Tailgating trailers are all-in-one units that include large-screen TVs, satellite TV receivers, mini fridges, microwaves, and storage space for tables and chairs. Some even offer portable toilets. Most tailgate trailers start about $10,000. The Ultimate Tailgater is a 6' by 10' trailer with a variety of amenities that sells for $12,995.
Let the game begin.